Relationships Australia Queensland (RAQ) is a leading provider of relationship and family support services. We believe healthy relationships are essential for the well-being of children, families and communities. We are committed to offering the best possible counselling, mediation, education and support services, and are committed to social justice and inclusion.
Find out more about our values, benefits and employee experience by watching this video!
About the Role
We are currently seeking applications for the permanent part-time role (60 hours per fortnight) of Child and Youth Counsellor within Thriving Kinnections program located at our Townsville venue.
The purpose of this position is to provide a range of specialist intervention and support to children, young people, and their families who are experiencing, or have been affected by, domestic and family violence through individual and group counselling.
The key responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide appropriate counselling, referral and support to children, young people, and families using a wide range of strategies including individual, group, and community-based interventions.
- Facilitate cultural healing to contribute to improved safety and empowerment for children and young people who experience family violence or displaying violent and/or complex childhood behaviours.
- Facilitate cultural healing to contribute to improved safety and empowerment for children and young people who experience family violence. This may include children and young people who may be displaying violent and/or complex childhood behaviours.
- Conduct client assessment and intake of client needs to make client appointments, provide relevant information and make appropriate referrals, and link to treatment plan
- Network and develop collaborative relationships with relevant government organisations and community agencies to build community capacity, to successfully link children, young people to other support services within a case management model.
Workdays/hours will be negotiated with the successful applicant, Please note that the position holder may be required to work an evening shift (11am to 7:30pm) weekly, with some flexibility needed in order to meet business requirements.
To be successful in this position, you will have at least:
- Appropriate undergraduate qualifications in the Human Services related field and/or relevant industry experience.
- A theoretical understanding of child development and associated issues as well as knowledge of the dynamics of domestic and family violence (DFV), and an understanding of DFV and child protection legislation and family law.
- Demonstrate experience in working with children and young people in a therapeutic context.
- Experience and theoretical knowledge of working therapeutically with clients in a variety of settings (e.g. individuals, couples, children, young people, families, groups),
- Experience working with local networks and agencies
- Knowledge of the State and National Domestic and Family Violence Practice Standards particularly in relation to working with women, children, and young people.
What We Can Offer You
The salary being offered is $80,963.63 to $94,619.10 per annum pro rata for part time, to be negotiated depending upon qualifications and experience, plus superannuation. We also offered you as follows:
- Excellent work-life balance and flexible working hours and delivery
- Additional annual leave over the Christmas period, annual leave loading and study leave
- A supportive team environment and opportunity for professional development
- Salary packaging options available of up to $15,900, which will significantly increase the value of take-home pay
- Paid parental leave and additional benefits such as medical insurance discounts
How to Apply
To apply, send us your resume and a cover letter outlining your demonstrated experience in each area. Application can be submitted by clicking the Apply Now button.
Please note that we will be reviewing applications as they’re received, so we encourage you to submit your application before closer to advertisement.